We may be biased, but we can't get enough pasta salad in the summer. Here's why:
1. You barely need the oven. Instead of slaving over a sizzling pan or running the oven for hours, the only heat you need to generate is for boiling water. Keep the kitchen cool!
2. It's endlessly versatile. There's virtually no limit to what you can toss in a pasta salad. Any meat, any vegetable, any cheese, any dressing. Pasta is the perfect delivery mechanism for just about anything you've got on hand. Bonus - works as a lunch food or a dinner food.
3. It's simple. Boil water, cook pasta, dice remaining ingredients. Stir it all together in a giant bowl. Done! Even better, you can make it ahead of time and it only tastes better as the day goes by.
4. It's healthy. Pasta salad is at its best when it's overflowing with fresh veggies. Whether you pull those out of your own garden or someone else's, you can feel good about "indulging" in pasta salad any time of day.
5. It's portable and potluck friendly. Whether you're headed to a beach or a backyard, pasta salad is easy to bring along. Doesn't usually need extra refrigeration, only uses one bowl, and it even looks pretty with a rainbow of ingredients mixed in with the pasta.
Like nearly everyone else in America, we went to a 4th of July potluck party and brought pasta salad to share. Our version this time began with GoE spaghetti and included cucumbers, onions, cherry tomatoes, and a quick Italian vinaigrette made with herbs from the Garden of Esther garden. Delicious and prepped in no time (and gone in no time, too)!